There’s nothing quite like a great–check that, Excellent–piece of fruit. And recently, United Fresh, a legendary institution, recognized the Produce Excellence in Foodservice winners. And that’s Excellently delicious. –By Brian Hurlburt, Founder and Host, Magnifying Excellence Podcast.
The United Fresh Produce Association was founded more than a century ago–in 1904–and brings together companies across the fresh produce supply chain, including growers, shippers, fresh cut processors, wholesalers, distributors, retailers, foodservice operators, industry suppliers and allied associations. Nine of the country’s most innovative chefs and foodservice professionals are scheduled to be honored this June during the United Fresh 2021 Convention & Expo as part of the United Fresh Produce Excellence in Foodservice Award Program, sponsored by FreshEdge, but the winners have already been announced. The awards honor chefs and their companies for their creativity in highlighting fresh produce on their menus, introducing diners to new flavors, and presenting creative ways to enjoy fresh produce. Many of the winners will appear during panels and more.
“It’s always a privilege for us to recognize culinary stars who are creating Instagram-worthy dishes that thrill customers and lead to a renewed interest and excitement for fresh produce,” said Tom Stenzel, President & CEO, United Fresh Produce Association. “We consistently have a diverse representation of chefs and foodservice professionals throughout the industry who are demonstrating some of the most creative concepts.”
The 2021 Produce Excellence in Foodservice Award winners:
• Hospitals & Healthcare: Chef Samantha Moore, Head Chef, Goshen Health, Goshen, IN
• Hotels & Resorts: Chef Kristin Butterworth, Executive Chef of Restaurants, Nemacolin Woodlands Resort & Spa, Framington, PA
• K-12 School Foodservice: Lauren Couchois, Culinary Specialist, Greenville County School District, Greenville, SC
• Quick Service Restaurants: Chef Matt Colgan, Culinary Director, MIXT, San Francisco, CA
• Supermarkets & Retail Operators: Sarah Griswold, Prepared Foods Manager, Green Zebra Grocery, Portland, OR
• Business in Industry: Chef Stephen Palm, Director of Culinary, Lifeworks Restaurant Group, Beaverton, OR
• Casual & Family Dining Restaurants: Chef Sachia Tinsley, Chef/Owner, Peyrassol Café at Southport, Renton, WA
• Colleges & Universities: Chef Darren Lewis, Executive Chef, Dining Services, Quest Food Management Services at University of Indianapolis, Indianapolis, IN
• Fine Dining Restaurants: Chef Kyle Patrick Hash, Executive Chef, 28 North Gastropub, Melbourne, FL
United Fresh “empowers industry leaders to shape sound government policy. We deliver the resources and expertise companies need to succeed in managing complex business and technical issues. We provide the training and development individuals need to advance their careers in produce. Through these endeavors, we unite our industry with a common purpose – to build long-term value for our members and grow produce consumption.”
Click now for more about www.unitedfresh.org
Click now for FreshEdge at www.freshedgefoods.com. The company combines leading regional produce distributors who can deliver customer service with an extensive selection of fresh produce, proteins, fresh-cut produce, prepared foods and specialty items to meet the ever-changing consumer demand for fresh, local, innovative cuisine.
Now all of this adds up to produce Excellence!